Thursday, June 16, 2011

Saving for the Future, Spending for Now

I am learning so much about saving and planning for the future at work. In fact, I will be opening a Schwab account soon. I have always been extremely conscientious of spending money--I'm a sale shopper! Here recently, however, I have been thinking about it entirely too often. I am finding myself hesitating to visit my parents in Cleveland for a weekend because of the gas money, worrying about going out to eat with my girlfriends, and even riding without air in the middle of the day with a full tank of gas!

I think I knew in the back of my mind, every time money crossed my mind, that I was worrying about the wrong things. What I should be worried about are my priorities if I didn't go visit my parents whenever I get the chance, go eat with my friends and order dessert if the mood strikes, and blast the AC until I get chills.

I can honestly say that if my parents do not leave me a dime, I will be happy because I know they spent all their money on truly taking advantage of the best life has to offer. They drive to Knoxville to see my nephews play one basketball game sometimes several times a week, take spontaneous trips "over the mountain" to work on their poker skills, and go see movies weekly where my dad always gets nachos and a coke even though it's about a 3,000% markup! They are happy, and debt-free, which is more than most can say.

I will always be a saver. I have no doubt that will never change. Actually, it can't because I get it deducted automatically! But being a saver doesn't mean I can't be a spender, too! Who wants to take a trip? I have some living and spending to do, and some vacation days to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment