Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The End of the Beginning




I graduate in 9 days. All of my friends have been counting down since December. Just typing the sentence saying I graduate next week makes me want to cry. I can't tell you how many times I have said the words, "I don't want to talk about it," whenever someone brings up graduation.

I think something may seriously be wrong with me. For my high school graduation, everyone was sad and somewhat scared to leave. I didn't even care if I walked. I was so ready to start college and the next chapter of my life. Now, when everyone is so excited to graduate, I want to absolutely refuse to do so. It got so bad a few weeks ago that I actually took the time to see what would happen if I did not complete another assignment in any of my classes. Turns out not even that would keep me another semester.

All of my life I have loved being a student and learning new things. I still get excited to call my parents and tell them about my classes and lectures! I love, I mean love, buying new school supplies every August and December to prepare for the upcoming semester. I love sitting on the front row. I love looking back on all of my notebooks from previous semesters filled with notes, doodles, and memories. I even love cramming for exams until the wee hours of the morning.

It seems this is the end of the beginning of my life. Boy, it has been a good one. If I happen to see you at graduation with tears streaming down my face, don't be alarmed. It's 21 years in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment