Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Unsung Heroes

I woke up this morning to find out that my nephew, Stetson, got Prep-Xtra Sophomore of the Year and had a feature article in the newspaper. Needless to say, I was smiling all the way to work. After reading the article as soon as I sat down to my desk, I finally got around to checking my emails and getting started for the day. I got even more good news when I checked my email; I was selected to be a staff writer at thetwentylife.com.

I am thrilled at the opportunity. The more I started thinking about the position, the more thankful I became. Although I would love to think that my new position is due to my superb writing skills, I know better. The chain of events, and people, that shape and mold you into who you are create your opportunities. The most successful people I know are the best at realizing just that.

So today I thank all the people who helped me realize my passion for reading, writing, and the English language: Judy Blume is the first that comes to mind because her novel, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, is the first novel I ever remember rereading. Little did I know JK Rowling would come around and cause me to get in trouble because I reread her books entirely too many times. Mrs. Connell was my seventh grade English teacher and would not let me settle for simply loving to read. She forced me to analyze poetry and pursue creative writing. I love both now. Finally, my parents are the biggest contributors. I can't tell you how many nights they would stay up and critique my papers. With my mom's formal, editorial style and my dad's creative suggestions, they certainly helped create, inspire, and encourage my writing.

Here's to those who have helped us along the way. May anyone who gets an award, job, whatever, realize and acknowledge those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment