Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Simple Pleasures



Ah, the first post in a while. Simple pleasures have been on my mind all day today. I have a quote hanging up in my room that says, "Do ONE thing EVERY day that makes YOU happy." When I first saw it, I thought it was brilliant! The more I read it, however, the less brilliant I think it is. One thing? I cannot imagine how unhappy I would be if I only did one thing every day that I enjoyed.

Every single morning I wake up and have milk with my breakfast. I surely have the world's strongest bones. That used to be pleasure enough, but since I came to college and was able to experience all the new-found wonders that come from complete freedom, I took it a step further. I drink milk out of the jug-and I love it! I have an internship this semester that causes me to wake up every morning at 6:30. Despite the early rising, I always make time to go downstairs at 7:00 and take the time to eat breakfast. I sometimes can't help but giggle at how I am sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor smiling because I am chugging milk right from the gallon. What would my mom say?!

That being said, I start off every morning with something that brings me true pleasure. People have asked me in the past why am I always so happy. I was never able to really give an answer other than, "I just am!" Maybe I finally have the answer: I do tons of things every day that make me happy when it seems the rest of the world has to have a sign to remind them just to do one.

I came across this link for the 30 Most Satisfying Simple Pleasures:
http://www.marcandangel.com/2008/03/23/the-30-most-satisfying-simple-pleasures-life-has-to-offer/
I loved those, but in case you need more inspiration, here are ten of my favorite simple pleasures that I would add to the list:
  1. Taking my shoes off the second I sit behind my desk to work
  2. Driving a little too fast around the curves I know so well leading to my apartment (maybe this one is a little guilty!)
  3. Listening to music really loudly
  4. Using this jumbo pink chapstick from Palmer's that I found in the ethnic section at Wal-Mart. It looks like a giant crayon, and it makes my lips look, feel, and smell great!
  5. Reading a book that makes me laugh out loud or gasp with the thrill of surprise or terror. I always have a book on me.
  6. Listening to Christmas music no matter the season
  7. Learning something new
  8. Looking down at my toes and seeing them painted a bright, funky color
  9. Walking on the hardwood floor at work in my heels. That sound makes me feel so sassy and powerful.
  10. Wiggling, shaking, and dancing for the entire duration you microwave something to eat or drink. I read in a magazine a long time ago that this was guaranteed to boost your mood. It sure does. I'm not sure if it's the actual movement that makes me so happy or thinking how funny it would be if someone saw me. Either way, I love it!
ps: If you ever come visit me and want cookies and milk, you were forewarned about my jug-drinking passion :)

No comments:

Post a Comment