Instead of the usual day where I am concerned only about my selfish wishes, I decided to spend the day giving to others. I spent the entire morning and most of the afternoon fulfilling random acts of kindness. It was the greatest thing I have ever done on a birthday. Here's my list of 23 RAOK's:
1. I left handwritten notes on three cars with inspirational quotes and a request to "pass on the kindness."
3. I taped quarters to a coke machine with a note to enjoy a cold drink.
5. I bought a woman's drinks at Walmart. (This was the absolute best one. I came up to her and told her it was my birthday and I would love to buy the drinks for her. She didn't speak for a second and then proceeded to burst into tears while telling me I must be sent from God because of the terrible time she has had lately. We were both crying and hugging, and it was the best five dollars I have ever spent in my life.)
6. I put a quarter in all of the candy machines at Walmart so the next person just has to turn it for free candy.
8. I gave a mother of three a gift card for free groceries.
9. I opened the doors at the Dollar General for several customers with their hands full.
10. I flashed my lights at oncoming cars when I saw a policeman waiting to catch someone speeding at the bottom of a hill.
11. I left quarters and a note for a free car wash.
13. I brought flowers to a woman who has been in the hospital for over nine days without a single visitor.
14. I brought flowers to a woman who has been in the hospital for seven days without a visitor. She told me I was the first person to ever buy her flowers. She was over sixty.
17. I brought large print crossword puzzles to the local nursing home.
18. I taped a sign for free smiles on the door window of the Cleveland Hospice.
19. I gave two men who had clearly worked a long, hard day a gift card for Little Caesars.
20. I gave a little boy a Pez dispenser with refills.
21. I flushed all of the toilets in the McDonald's restrooms. (I still don't understand why there is ever a need for someone to do that for someone else, but oh well.)
22. I bought the lunch of the car behind us at McDonald's.
I can't say I was completely unselfish on Monday. I played a Texas Hold'em tournament with my family that night, and I didn't share any of my winnings. I also asked for a personalized Minnie Mouse birthday cake.
|My mom made this thing entirely from scratch!|