Monday, May 23, 2011

Purpose-driven

As I have just finished my first full-time week of work, I have been doing a lot of thinking about where I want to be in five, ten, twenty years. Whenever I thought about what I wanted to do when I "grew up," I always thought I would want to make enough money that I could always completely support myself with enough extra spending money that I can go to the movies, travel, eat out, and buy gifts without fear of not being able to pay the bills. Other than financially, I thought I would grow to love any job I have, so I never thought about what specifically I want from a job other than a paycheck.

My dad got a call the other day from a former player who proceeded to tell my dad how much he impacted his life and his career path. I cannot count the number of people my dad has positively impacted through his profession, and I am always so thankful that I have had him around my entire life as such a positive role model. Even my mom, who pursued a mathematical profession, has greatly impacted many lives through her career. She helped a not-for-profit organization increase the number of foster parent inquiries by over 1,000% so that kids who would have normally been raised in state orphanages were able to be placed in individual homes instead. Both of my parents sleep easily at night. They know they have made a difference in so many more lives than just mine.

While I enjoy my job, I certainly do not feel as if I am fulfilling some greater purpose or helping humanity. I research, coordinate events and meetings, and do more research. I suppose that is what is expected right after college. I am determined to have a purpose-driven life, so it will be interesting to see how I can manage that suit-clad with a window view. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment