Monday, September 13, 2010

Steel Magnolias

My best friend asked me the other day what was my favorite flower. I told her, "I don't have a favorite flower. If anyone ever brought me flowers, the gesture alone is enough. I don't care what kind they are." Although this was my initial reaction, I actually do have a favorite flower. I have been thinking about it a lot and the answer is so obvious. Magnolia.

For starters, what flower is more symbolic of the South than a magnolia? More than that, I was in the play Steel Magnolias when I was a senior in high school, and it has always been one of my favorite movies of all time (that's saying something because I love movies!). Guess when the movie was first released? 1989. My birth year. I mean, this is MY flower. We even have magnolias on the Christmas tree at my home. How could I have ever said I didn't know what my favorite flower was?

When I researched the magnolia, its petals are abnormally strong to resist being eaten by beetles, and it says its symbolism is recognized for nobility, dignity and perseverance. While these are wonderful traits, the magnolia to me represents the strong, beautiful Southern woman, a true steel magnolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment