Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Try is the Worst Word


Try seems like it would be a positive word. It seems like a word that begins with motivation. In reality, try is an early excuse.

As the manager over a crucial, detailed, and lengthy project, I have been hearing the word "try" far too often. It doesn't matter that I send out reminder emails starting a month in advance. The week of, there are still going to be those people who will try to complete the task. I just want to shake them and say, "No, no, there is no trying. There is only doing, so get it done."

It's a good lesson for me, I suppose. I now realize that, although I do not say "I'll try" when it comes to interactions with others, I certainly say it to myself. That is just as bad. No more trying to make it to the gym at least three times a week or trying to cook more often. This girl is going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment