Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Things Do Not Change, We Change


I used to love Forever 21. Now I rarely go into the store. I used to hate my hair. Now I embrace it. I guess Thoreau was right. We change, not things.

In middle school I thought high school kids were the epitome of smart, cool and mature, and I was extremely intimidated . Once I was in high school, I thought the same about college students. Maybe I developed into the stereotypical college student that thinks she knows everything but really has no idea, but I truly did not feel intimidated of really anyone upon graduation. I have already met numerous executives and influential people that are considerably older and wiser than I am, and I comfortable with who I am and my KSA's (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. My teacher would be so proud that I remembered that). With those two things combined, I thought I was set to interact with anyone I might encounter.

This all changed when I walked into the luncheon for the United Way Loaned Executives program, wearing a suit I might add, with one simple question, "Are you in the right place?" All that confidence and comfortability I just mentioned? Out the window. I suddenly felt like the little girl in her mom's suit playing dress-up, but somehow I just giggled, nodded, and then proceeded to ramble at a high-pitch. Maybe I haven't changed as much as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment