Saturday, November 13, 2010

Stick To Your Roots

"No one comes from the earth like grass...we come like trees...we all have roots"

This is one of my favorite quotes from Maya Angelou. When I recently saw the movie, Everything is Fine, I was reminded of it. In the movie, Robert DeNiro plays a father that has four children all located across the country. Although I felt so sorry for him in the movie because he was so lonely and never got to see his children, I didn't think this was a very plausible situation. It turns out it is. Everywhere but here.

Honestly, the thought of being more than 3 hours away from my parents is almost unacceptable. I can't even imagine living states away. I know I am just naturally extremely family-oriented, but I think it's more than that. It's being raised in an area that believes in sticking to your roots.

I'm not saying I'm scared to branch out or feel obligated to stay close to my family. If I moved far from my family to try and learn and grow into a a better person for life or work or whatever, I firmly believe I would be going backwards rather than forwards. I can't get better as an individual when I'm missing a huge part of who I am--that's my family.

I did come like trees. My roots run deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment