Sunday, March 11, 2012

We're Only Half-Crazy

Around June I suggested running the Disney Princess Half-Marathon to my mom. Completing one was on both of our bucket lists. If we are going to run one, we decided we might as well make a vacation out of it and run with Disney princesses.

Over the last five months we have been training. It wasn't always fun, and it wasn't always easy.

The next photos were taken after a ten mile Christmas run and a 6 1/2 mile run in the rain.

I'll admit that I have never been a huge fan of running. Leaving for the race (at 3:30 am), we shared a cab with a woman who is a serial marathoner. She said they are addictive. I just smiled, keeping my opinion that she must be crazy to myself.

As it turns out, she might be right.

Couples old enough to be my grandparents were dressed as Cinderella and Prince Charming. Four sisters who ran next to us had a brother who came and surprised them at the finish line with a carriage. People who did not even know anyone in the race were holding signs saying things like, "Hey stranger, I don't know you, but I'm proud of you!"

So much pride and energy surrounds a marathon. My mom realized that earlier than I did. She was crying before the race even started.

She cried after, too. Crossing the finish line with my mom is one of the greatest memories I will ever have-- we even had our own personal cheerleader (my dad definitely deserves a shout out for his support and superb foot massages). How could I not want to repeat that?

No comments:

Post a Comment